The National Deep Submergence Facility (NDSF) hosted at WHOI, is a federally - funded center that operates, maintains, and coordinates the use of three vital deep ocean vehicles.
To request use of the National Deep Submergence Facility (NDSF) vehicles, please submit a UNOLS Ship-time and Marine Equipment (SME) request form requesting the vehicle(s).
NDSF Vehicle Debriefs
In order to better track the status of NDSF vehicle and system performance, DeSSC will conduct debrief interviews of Principal Investigators who use Jason, Alvin, and Sentry. Agendas for DeSSC meetings will include summary reports of these debriefs. Participation in the debriefs will include a DeSSC representative, the science user, and the NDSF Chief Scientist (Anna Michel). A list of items that have been identified as problems or areas where improvement is needed will be documented.
The following individuals are the current DESSC representatives who will conduct debriefs:
- ROV Jason – Roxanne Beinart / URI
- HOV Alvin – Jill McDermott / Lehigh
- AUV Sentry – David Carress / MBARI
Other Important NDSF - Related Resources
- WHOI Data Archiving Policy
- Interactive Tour of Alvin
- WHOI's Dive and Discover Site
- Criteria for Adding New Assets to the NDSF
- Third - Party Tool Policy
- UNOLS Safety Standards for Human Occupied Vehicles (HOV)s