University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Sciences
• Coordination and participate in a variety of technical tasks associate with the design, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance of oceanographic instruments and systems.
• Serve as a seagoing researcher on research vessels in order to participate in field operations and logistics, with a particular focus on deployment and maintenance of oceanographic moorings, data processing and data quality assessment from the sensors and systems used. • Conduct scientific programming using languages such as MATLAB, C++, or Python, graphical software and basic CAD packages.
• Will use hand tools, power tools and electronic and electronic test equipment to support lab and field work.
• Support the daily activities of electronic and marine technicians involved in providing technical support services for meteorological and physical oceanographic field programs, including field operations.
• Exercise professional judgment in the collection, interpretation and processing of data samples.
• Responsible for the maintenance and repair of mechanical systems.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in related field
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements): Two years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must possess strong mechanical skills involving the use of tools, power tools, and other equipment used in the fabrication and maintenance of oceanographic measurement systems.
• Must possess strong computer skills relevant to data processing and data quality assessment from the sensors and systems used. • Must be able to perform fieldwork in a challenging environment and see difficult tasks through to completion.
• Physical requirements for this position include, but are not limited to lifting above the shoulders, carrying weights, routine standing, walking, reaching, stooping and bending.
• Visual requirements are depth perception, ability to see peripherally and to bring objects into focus.
• Must be willing to travel domestically and internationally and work professionally and independently.
• Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with diverse groups of people.