Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
• Performs general duties, including wiping oil; maintaining tools; and cleaning, preparing, and painting of machinery, equipment, and related spaces.
• Lubricates moving parts of propulsion engines and auxiliary equipment. Pumps bilges, and cleans strainers, filters, and centrifuges
• Checks, during scheduled rounds, the proper operation of machinery; maintains proper temperatures and pressures; and records data in engineering log.
• Assists engineers, while in port, with maintenance and repair of engine room equipment and spaces; loading freshwater, stores, and bunkers; connecting to shore side power and water, and maintenance and inventory of spare parts.
• Keeps a log of all watch operations and conditions, including unusual occurrences and emergency signals.
• May stand engine room watch, and generator watch in port.
• May be assigned day work and performs other duties as required.
Require a U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner's Credential endorsed as an QMED Oiler. Valid Passport, TWIC and Medical Certificate STCW date current
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is the world's leading, independent non-profit organization dedicated to ocean research, exploration, and education. Our scientists and engineers push the boundaries of knowledge about the ocean to reveal its impacts on our planet and our lives.