- Must hold a U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential with a “Qualified Member of the Engineering Department” (QMED) endorsement. A Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) endorsement is preferred.
- High school diploma or GED and at least three years’ experience performing engineering and deck operations on research, fishing, or towing vessels.
- Knowledge of the operation, trouble shooting, and repair of marine systems and auxiliary equipment.
- Knowledge of safety procedures and precautions relating to engine room and deck work.
- Knowledge and experience with deck operations with cranes, frames, or winches.
- Welding and machinist experience preferred.
- Experience with maintenance and repair of typical ship’s systems, including propulsion, diesel engines, electrical, hydraulics, HVAC, pneumatic, piping/pumps, sanitary, and potable water; diesel-electric experience preferred.
- Experience with deployment and recovery of equipment at sea, such as oceanographic, fishing, supply, or towing vessel operations.
- Must maintain other required certifications and training for the vessel’s size and class including but not limited to STCW, PIC Tankerman, Marine Fire Fighting, First Aid, and CPR.