The MBARI Information Systems Group is responsible for all aspects of successful planning, deployment, operation, and maintenance of the institute’s overall computing, network, and telecommunications infrastructure, including end-user support. The team is made up of skilled and dedicated I.S. Administrators and Technicians who collaborate with each other and the customers we serve, focused on meeting the unique needs of our diverse user community and projects. Our scope includes physical and virtual Linux and Windows server infrastructure; cloud services and infrastructure; local and wide area networking, routing, and firewall infrastructure; telecommunications and collaboration services; storage and backup infrastructure; Active Directory administration; email administration; database administration; business applications infrastructure; web sites and web applications; Windows, Mac, and Linux end-user computing support; and more.
Reporting to the Information Systems Manager, this position is primarily focused on Linux server administration, server virtualization, and enterprise email administration. In concert with the IS team, this Administrator is directly responsible for the installation, maintenance, and administration of the hardware and software in these areas, ensuring these systems are available, reliable, and performant. This role also provides consultative support and troubleshooting to end users of these systems. In addition, this position manages the NTP time reference services for the institute, and handles other system administration duties as needed.
As a member of the IS group, this Administrator will contribute to the overall effort to continuously improve our IT management methods and efficiency, forecast future needs, and develop upgrade or technology strategies to meet the evolving needs of the institute. Examples of this could include cloud integration and workload migration between on-premise and cloud infrastructure, configuration management and orchestration implementation (leveraging tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Kubernetes, etc.), architecture enhancements for HPC and large data handling, support for CI/CD/CM workflows, machine learning compute support, and so on.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or related technical field, or commensurate education or experience, along with at least five years relevant work experience is required.
• Expert proficiency with Linux system configuration, deployment, administration, etc., on both physical and virtual machines, for CentOS/RHEL and Ubuntu distributions.
o Strong package version management skills and ability to build software from source when necessary.
o Expert proficiency with Active Directory integration and Kerberos SSO for user and group access control and permissions management.
o Expert proficiency with network storage connection options from Linux, including NFS, SMB, and automount management.
o Expert proficiency with containerized application configuration, deployment and management, utilizing podman and docker.
• Expert proficiency with VMware vSphere and ESXi virtualization administration, including networking, iSCSI storage, HA, DR replication, physical hardware, et al.
• Expert familiarity with Linux-hosted email & calendar server administration, including SMTP MTA mail routing (Postfix), IMAP/POP service, listservers, calendar server, etc. Experience with Zimbra Collaboration Server is a plus.
• Strong scripting skills, particularly shell scripting and PowerShell
The selected individual must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effective organizational skills. Must be able to work collaboratively and effectively with diverse groups of people. Must be willing to go to sea for occasional short specified periods.