Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Supervises and maintains operation of all shipboard communications systems, including GMDSS equipment, Inmarsat "C", telephone PABX Equipment, intercom or sound-powered phone systems and satellite data equipment.
• Is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, and repair of all shipboard navigation electronic systems, including GPS, navigation computers, Dynamic Positioning systems, Gyros, radars, echo sounders, wind indicators and Doppler speed logs.
• Is responsible for proper operation, maintenance and repair of all other shipboard electronics, including winch monitoring systems, entertainment systems, ship management computer systems and other networked computers.
• Assists Engine Department personnel and shore side technicians, as necessary.
• Maintains logs and charges appropriate accounts for radio calls, phone logs, and satellite use, maintains NS5 database of electronic equipment and parts, and prepares monthly report for Master and Port Office on equipment status and usage.
• As safety and weather permits, may be required to work aloft for purposes of maintenance and repair of shipboard electronics.
High school diploma or equivalent plus three years directly applicable service at sea or in a similar capacity; in the absence of a diploma, two years related work experience.
• Must possess GMDSS Operator and Maintainer License with radar endorsement
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is the world's leading, independent non-profit organization dedicated to ocean research, exploration, and education. Our scientists and engineers push the boundaries of knowledge about the ocean to reveal its impacts on our planet and our lives.