UNOLS COUNCIL MEETING
8:30 A.M., Tuesday, 23 October 2012
National Science Foundation, Stafford II, Room 555
4201 Wilson Boulevard Arlington, VA
0800 Coffee and Pastries
0830 Call the Meeting: Bruce Corliss, UNOLS Chair, will call the meeting to order and provide an opportunity for introductions.
0840 Non-Operator Committee Report for 2013 Fleet Operations – Council Subcommittee recommendations and Council Discussion. (Bob Houtman and Deb Steinberg)
0910 Summary of Fleet Improvement Committee Meeting and Action Items that required Council Attention (Clare Reimers)
0925 Ocean Observing Science Committee Report – An update on activities and future plans (Larry Atkinson)
0940 The Status of UNOLS On-Going Activities, Issues, and Items of Council Interest - Summaries of the following items will be provided. There will be opportunity for Council comments or discussion.
· 0940: Heightened Security- Password Protected Ship Schedules (Tim Schnoor and Jon Alberts- 10 minutes)
· 0950: Research Vessel Safety Orientation Film – Update on development to procure a new up to date safety orientation film (Jon Alberts- 5 minutes)
· 0955: ITAR Regulations – Review opinion paper on ITAR and EAR exports as it relates to permanently fixed equipment on UNOLS Vessels. (Dennis Nixon – 15 minutes)
· 1010: Break – 15 minutes
· 1025: Consortium for Ocean Leadership: Report of the Working Group to Develop Funding Models for New Ships (Bruce Corliss – 5 minutes)
· 1030: Gender Climate at Sea – Voluntary On-Line Training Pilot Program - Participant feedback. (Jon Alberts – 10 minutes)
· 1040: NOAA and UNOLS Coordination (Bruce Corliss – 10 minutes)
· 1050: 2012/2013 UNOLS Goals and Priorities (Bruce Corliss and Peter Ortner – 15 minutes)
· 1105: C14 Workshop (Jon Alberts – 5 minutes)
· 1110: Cruise Planning Tool (Jon Alberts – 5 minutes)
· 1115: A New Class of Coastal Vessels for UNOLS – (John Morrison – 15 minutes)
· 1130: UNOLS Membership Application Form – Review/update the UNOLS Membership Application Form (Annette DeSilva - 10 minutes)
· 1140: UNOLS Office Review – In accordance with the UNOLS Charter, the UNOLS Chair, with the UNOLS Council, shall review UNOLS Office performance and activities prior to the completion of the first five-year term. The first 5-year term of the UNOLS Office at URI will end on April 30, 2014.
1150 Committee Activities and Issues requiring Council Attention - Committee Chairs and Council Members will have an opportunity to raise any issues requiring Council attention.
· SCOAR Chair – SCOAR nomination
· FIC Chair – FIC nomination
· OOSC Chair – OOSC nomination
· AICC Chair – AICC nomination
· Council Membership changes
1200 UNOLS Council Winter Meeting – dates and location