Revised May 26, 2010
UNOLS COUNCIL – Phone/Web Conference
Wednesday and Thursday, June 9 & 10, 2010, 1:00 pm – 4:00 PM EDT (each day)
A pdf version of this agenda can be downloaded at:
A pdf version of this agenda can be downloaded at: <201006cncag.pdf>
Day 1 – Wednesday, June 9, 2010
1300 Log into Web-Ex Conference
1305 Call the Meeting: Vernon Asper, UNOLS Chair, will call the meeting to order and provide an opportunity for introductions.
1315 UNOLS Vessel Operations in Gulf of Mexico: Recap of UNOLS ship activities to date and plans for the future (Vernon Asper and Jon Alberts).
1330 Academic Fleet Renewal Activities
· Ocean Class Acquisition Status and Operator Selection
· Regional Class: NSF Tasking status – Clare Reimers
· ARRV Status
1350 UNOLS 2010 Fleet schedules, estimated operation costs, and 2011 ship scheduling – Jon Alberts and Stan Winslow
· Announce UNOLS Ad Hoc Committee to review agency recommendations regarding fleet operations in 2011
1445 Proposed formation of a new UNOLS Ocean Observatories Science Committee (OOSC) – The ad hoc committee of Kenneth Coale, John Morrison, and Wilf Gardner has provided the Council with draft OOSC Terms of Reference for consideration. The status of the OOSC slate of candidates and a representative for the June and August OOI Review meeting will be reported.
1510 Antarctic Research Vessels and UNOLS – Vernon Asper will report on the status of efforts for a cooperative relationship between UNOLS, OPP, and OCE for polar facility coordination.
1525 UNOLS Charter Review – The UNOLS Charter states that a review should be conducted every three years. A review subcommittee of Nancy Rabalais, Rob Pinkel, and Vernon was formed to carry out this effort and will report on the status.
1540 Nominating Committee Report – The Nominating Committee will report on the status of the draft 2010/2011 UNOLS Council slate. (Bruce Corliss)
1550 UNOLS Annual meeting:
· Date – October 14-15
· Keynote Speaker suggestions and selection (Jon Alberts)
Day 2: Thursday, June 10th
1300 Log into Web-Ex Conference
1310 Open Day-2 of the Meeting: Vernon Asper, UNOLS Chair, will reconvene the meeting.
1320 The Status of UNOLS On-Going Activities and Issues - Brief summaries of the following items will be provided. There will be opportunity for Council comments or discussion.
· 3rd Large Facility Workshop – Jon Alberts
· Greening the UNOLS Fleet – Bruce Corliss will provide an update on activities and plans.
· Post Cruise Assessment Report (PCAR) Subcommittee – Status report on current review (Bob Collier)
· Investigate the feasibility of a more flexible UNOLS to meet the needs of additional users. The ad hoc committee will report on the status of developing a task statement. (John Diebold)
· Gender Climate at Sea – Kenneth Coale will provide an update.
· UNOLS Involvement at Future Science Meetings – At the last meeting, Robin Muench was asked to explore options for a UNOLS Plenary session at a future AGU or Ocean Science meeting. (Robin Muench)
· UNOLS Outreach/Mentoring Initiatives Update – (Annette DeSilva)
· RVOC ad hoc committee on Medical Issues – The Council recommended that the RVOC ad hoc committee on medical issues be reformed. Status. (Pete Zerr)
· Rolling deck to Repository (R2R) Project Update – (Jon Alberts)
· Consortium for Ocean Leadership – UNOLS Interactions (Jon Alberts)
· Marine Technician Recruitment and Retention Pilot Program – (Jon Alberts)
1435 Committee Activities and Issues requiring Council Attention - Committee Chairs and Council Members will have an opportunity to raise issues requiring Council attention.
1500 Opportunity for Additional Reports and Agency Comments - Agency Representatives will have an opportunity to raise matters of interest to UNOLS.
Adjourn Day Two